Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Gary Goodyear: Do You Believe in Gravity?

In a March 17, 2009 Globe and Mail article, recently appointed Canadian Minister of Science and Technology answered, when asked if he believed in evolution: “I'm not going to answer that question. I am a Christian, and I don't think anybody asking a question about my religion is appropriate.”

The theory of evolution is not a religious question. Nor are the theories of gravity (gravitational theory) or atoms (atomic theory). These scientific theories are backed by facts - lots of facts - and are only disputed by non-scientists without the qualifications to dispute them.

Now, gravity doesn't really work within quantum mechanics, but if it's me and a cliff; I'll put my money on gravity every time. Atoms? Shall we reintroduce Earth, Water, Air, Fire, and Aether? Let's not!

If the question were re-worded to "do you believe in gravity" and the Minister answered: “I'm not going to answer that question. I am a Christian, and I don't think anybody asking a question about my religion is appropriate" this controversy wouldn't exist. He would have been turfed the next day.

Mr. Goodyear is not qualified to be the Minister of Science and Technology. He should resign or be fired.

2 comments:

  1. This wretched interface just killed my comment, so here goes again...

    I assume a requirement of the job is to be able to converse with scientists and non-scientists alike, and to have a deep understanding of how science bears upon the issues facing the government.

    Being a respected scientist would be a desired qualification for doing a good job, but being a highly educated, intelligent and erudite non-scientist would do.

    I suspect, but cannot prove, that thinking a chiropractic education gives you scientific qualifications, and muddling the difference between science and your religion, makes you unfit for service.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alex B

    Blogspot picked me....would you recommend a better service?

    I think a smart generalist who understands science and politics is the right choice. With or without the background on science, the respect and understanding (like you allude to) of how science works, and where technology can, and will take us, is way more important than specific backgrounds.

    I didn't tackle this in my blog, but scientists and technologists (or people working at new tech solutions - or whatever legitimate concerns) should respect and trust their Minister. He/she doesn't have to be a respected peer. But they HAVE to be a respected representative.

    Shame on you, Mr. Harper, for letting this get through.

    ReplyDelete